Link to the orignal recipe: http://bestamericanfood.net/259
I’ve come up with a lot of biscuit recipes, and these savory biscuits are awesome! Serve them with your favorite meal, or fill them with fried eggs for a great breakfast dish. If you make the biscuits small, they could even serve as tasty party appetizers. For my biscuits, I have best results with White Lily flour, but if that’s not available, use another quality brand.
Holle’s Bacon-Cheddar Biscuits
What you’ll need:
- 10 slices apple wood or maple bacon, diced ***(I just used the bacon that was pre-cooked given by a friend)
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening, plus more for greasing pan (Used butter in the pan, not shortening)
- 2 cups White Lily self-rising flour
- ½ teaspoon Lowry’s garlic salt ***(I used garlic powder. Did not have garlic salt)
- 1 tablespoon sugar ***(used Cane Juice Crystals -organic sugar)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese ***(I used shredded four-cheese blend because that is what I had on hand.
- 1 cup whole milk
- Melted butter
Directions: Fry bacon until crisp, then drain. While bacon is frying, preheat oven to 425 degrees and grease baking pan with shortening.
Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the 1/3 cup of shortening and blend with a fork or pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
Gradually add milk while blending. Add cheese and bacon. Work dough until the cheese and bacon are evenly distributed.
Place dough on floured surface and knead about four times. Do not overwork!
Using your palms, pat biscuit dough out to a half-inch thick. Cut biscuits out with a round cookie or biscuit cutter.
Place biscuits in pan, allowing them to almost touch – about ½ inch apart. Bake for about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and brush tops with melted butter. Sprinkle lightly with additional garlic salt, if desired.
***Even with all my modifications, this recipe turned out great!